Residents of Ontario with valid OHIP cards may be covered for their eye examination. OHIP’s current coverage is as follows;
- Children 19 years of age and under are covered for one full eye exam every 12 months
- Senior’s 65 years of age and over are covered for one full eye exam every 12 months
- Adults 20-64 years of age are no longer (as of 2004) covered for full eye exams. However certain medical conditions do qualify for coverage.
Examples include diabetes, glaucoma, visually significant cataracts and other conditions that could be determined during your exam.
- ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program) and OW (Ontario Works) offer coverage for one full exam every 24 months.
- They do not cover any follow-up appointments during the 24 month period.
For further information please visit Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care-OHIP coverage for eye care services.